Friday, August 20, 2010

The First Year / El primer año

INTRODUCTION - INTRODUCCIÓN

This blog has been organised in chronological order and by INPUT, the language I supply, and OUTPUT, the language the ‘subject’, my son Marc, uses. You ‘ll notice that there was significantly less output than input in the first 18 months, which of course is to be expected.
He organizado el blog en orden cronológico y por INPUT – los estímulos, actividades, lenguaje, etc que yo ‘doy’ desde fuera, por decirlo de una manera, y el OUTPUT, las palabras o lenguaje que el ‘sujeto’ mi hijo Marc dice o utiliza. En los primeros 18 meses hay menos output y más input y por a poco voy de mes a mes a quincena a quincena hasta semana a semana según el tiempo y la cantidad de cosas nuevas que hay.
Del 0 (16/05/09) a 12 meses - From 0 (16/05/09) to 12 months
Como casi todos los bebés del mundo Marc no dijo ninguna palabra inteligible hasta los 12 meses, y quizás lógicamente la primera era “caca” y luego “mummy” y luego “Daddy”. Sin embargo, hay muchos padres que creen oír palabras e incluso hasta frases de los sonidos que emiten. Las palabras serán los equivalentes a ‘mama’ , ‘papa’, ‘caca’, ‘pi pi’, ‘bibi’ etc, según cuál es la más fácil de decir.
Los principios
Desde el principio le hablaba en inglés. No era un caso de “no me va a entender de todas formas, entonces da igual que le hable en inglés, catalán o castellano.” Todos los estudios demuestran que desde el primer día los bebés responden a estímulos del exterior, entonces hay que aprovecharlo y empezar a acostumbrar su oído a los sonidos que luego emitirá. Incluso, es ahora cuando muchos padres deciden en qué idioma le hablarán. No te caigas en tópicos y lo que te dirán personas mal informadas de que 2 idiomas (o 3) le confundirán. Los millones de casos en el mundo a lo largo de la historia avalan la teoría y la práctica de que 1 padre – 1 idioma desde el principio es el método que mejor funciona.
Yo quería que me llamara ‘daddy’ que es el equivalente a ‘papá , y me identifica en inglés con mi cultura y la manera habitual de dirigirse al padre. Mi mujer utiliza ‘mummy’ ó ‘mami’ que se aproxima mucho al inglés. Mi mujer me llama ‘el pare’ en catalán cuando habla con Marc. Aunque no me importa que me hable de la relación ‘padre’ en tercera persona en otro idioma, por ahora, después de 2,5 años creo que es mejor cuando se dirige a mí se utiliza mi ‘título’ que me identifica ‘daddy’ porque no me llamo ‘pare’.
The beginnings
From the very beginning I’ve spoken to Marc in English. Even if they don’t seem like they’re taking it in because ‘they’re just babies’, in fact they are assimilating the words and studies show that they respond to words and sounds from the very first day. So, don’t waste this opportunity to get them used to the sounds of a language. Parents decide during the first year (or even before they are born) what language they’re going to speak to the child. There are so many advantages to a child of speaking more than one language that it’s a shame to let this opportunity pass if you are a native speaker of another language. Don’t listen to the unfounded arguments of some who say that a child will get confused learning more than one language at a time. The millions of people around the world who are successful bilinguals are testimony to the fact that a child can easily ‘cope’ with the acquisition of 2 or even 3 languages if they are clearly separated by parent or speaker.
I wanted Marc to call me ‘Daddy’ as this identifies me with my language and culture. My wife uses ‘mami’, which sounds as near as you can get to ‘mummy’ in English. I’ve also tried to get my wife to use ‘Daddy’ instead of ‘Pare’ (‘dad’ in catalan) when she asks him to call me to activate his connection with me in English.
INPUT
As I’ve already mentioned, we’ve used the 1 parent 1 language method from the beginning. I use English, and my wife Catalan with an occasional intrusion from Spanish.
I tried to optimize my encounters with Marc singing to him and speaking to him in ‘baby language’. I used the baby changing table in the morning as an opportunity to speak and sing to him with ‘nonsense’ rhymes I made up to incorporate target vocabulary, such as ‘nice clean nappy, nice clean nappy, la la la …” or songs that seemed suitable such as “Blue Jeans. –When I wake up in the morning light, I put on my jeans and I feel, alright!! Ipull my blue jeans on, I pull my old blue jeans on…etc. which he is now able to sing along to at the age of 2.5 years. Other useful songs are Old Macdonald due to the animals and their noises which vary greatly between languages! I used the ‘usual’ baby situational phrases “Oh dear, Marc’s got a sore botty’, “Has Marc got a sore bottie then?” It seems that instinctively we use the name of the baby in the third person. I also used “You’ve got a sore bottie, haven’t you?. Another consideration was what forms of certain verbs to use, which may seem a strange thing to think about to some parents! I’ve opted for the ‘have got’ form which is the dominant form in colloquial southern England English. I notice that I often use both forms, I have or I’ve got, probably from having lived in Ireland for 11 years from 12-23 years. With Marc I always try to be consistent with the forms as providing a good model from the beginning is extremely important. It is also one of the reasons why you should always use your native language as you are unlikely to help your child with a second language and you’ll be unable to transmit the subtleties of the language or your culture. Your native language is your heritage.
Le hablaba como cualquier bebé con las frases pero siempre en inglés mientras su madre ha utilizado siempre el catalán, aunque usa ‘mi amor’ en castellano en vez de ‘amor meu’ y ‘besitos’ en lugar de ‘petonets’ y varios ejemplos así que de todas formas son habituales entre bilingües en Cataluña.
Utilizaba el cambiador por las mañanas para establecer una rutina y le cantaba mucho. No infravalores el poder del canto. Los ritmos hacen que las palabras gustan y entran más fácilmente. Y en general a los bebés y los niños pequeños les encantan las canciones.
Aparte de las frases como “Have you done wee wees?” “How are you today” “Did you sleep well” inventaba canciones con mis propias melodias para incluír palabras como “Nice clean nappy, nice clean nappy, la la la , la la la “ Cuando empezaba a ponerse sus vaqueros le cantaban “ Blue Jeans” When I wake up in the morning light, I put on my jeans and I fell alright!... etc. Y le gustaba la canción de _____ que cantan A,E,A,E,I,O,you, you are sometimes right” También el clásico ”Old MacDonald” con los sonidos de los animales.

OUTPUT
I’d like to say that Marc spoke before he was one by interpreting some of the sounds that he said. I have a friend who swore that his son was saying whole phrases at 5 months, so less said of this the better!! In the end ‘caca’ (poo) was his first word. Great!! Children tend to repeat the words they hear the most in a given situation and since the mother changed him more than I did with a bizarre interest in the type of vocab, this isn’t a surprise. Some words in Catalan (and the same in Spanish) are easier for a child. A ‘coco’ – a ‘bump’ for example. I worked on him using: I’ve bumped my head/arm’” etc, as well as ‘wee wee’ and ‘poo’. Well hey, he was just a baby!! And at 2.5 years he’s now using them in English!

El primer año, como era de esperar, hacia sonidos que se aproximaba a las palabras pero ‘de verdad’ no decía nada que se podía contar como palabras, aunque hubiera jurado que dijo ‘Daddy’ un par de veces!! Y su primera palabra era ‘caca’ cuando tenía 12 meses. Bonita palabra para empezar su vida de trilingüe ¡ En inglés en torno a su primer cumpleaños decía ‘dad’.

No comments:

Post a Comment